Media Relations Contact:
Mark A. Ball
September 22, 2014
DART Readies for Annual Texas-Oklahoma Showdown
The annual football game between the University of Texas and the University of Oklahoma may have changed from a rivalry to a showdown, but the easiest way to get to the game remains the same -- Dallas Area Rapid Transit's (DART) Green Line. Bring your friends and family and ride straight to Fair Park for the AT&T Red River Showdown, Saturday, October 11, in the Cotton Bowl.
Look for DART staff at key stations as early as four hours before game time to help customers buy tickets and make connections. Game-day ticket sellers will be at Parker Road, Victory and Pearl/Arts District Stations.
To help accommodate the large crowds, DART is adding light rail, buses and Trinity Railway Express (TRE) trains with special connections planned while some passengers may board buses to complete their trip.
Customers are encouraged to take advantage of the early transit service, which on some lines begins up to four hours before game time. Trains typically begin filling more than two hours before kickoff. Passengers using special bus service may have the best opportunity to avoid crowding on the Red and Green line trains.
Customers coming from Tarrant County on the TRE or Denton County via the Denton County Transportation Authority are advised to board the first train departing from their originating station. DCTA information can be found at dcta.net.
After the game, DART staff will be on hand to get customers to the fastest areas to board for their return trip. This special service continues for at least three hours after the game.
DART to the game
The fairgrounds are served by two stations -- Fair Park, located on Parry Avenue at the main fair entrance, and MLK, Jr., located south of R.B. Cullum Boulevard and convenient to the Gate 6 entrance and the Cotton Bowl Stadium.
Buses are a great audible on game day
- Southbound Green Line trains will leave every 10 minutes from North Carrollton/Frankford Station for MLK, Jr. Station as early as four hours before the game. These trains will not serve Victory, West End, Akard, St. Paul, Pearl/Arts District, Deep Ellum, Baylor and Fair Park stations. Transfer to the Green Line circulator at Union Station to reach those stations. The special Green Line circulator starts four hours before the game and operates six trips per hour. The circulator does not stop at Convention Center or Cedars stations and operates continually until approximately four hours after the game.
- Northbound Green Line trains leave every 10 minutes from Buckner Station for MLK, Jr. Station as early as three hours before kickoff. These trains will not stop at Fair Park.
- Southbound Red and Blue Line passengers can transfer to the Green Line Circulator at Pearl/Arts District Station while northbound Red and Blue line passengers can transfer at Akard Station.
- Specially marked southbound Red Line trains will leave every 10 minutes from Parker Road Station to MLK, Jr. Station starting as early as four hours before kickoff. The specially marked southbound Red Line trains will not stop after Cityplace/Uptown Station and will head directly to MLK, Jr. Station. Passengers on these trains will not need to transfer.
- Southbound Red Line trains going to Westmoreland Station will operate on a regular Saturday schedule with departures every 20 minutes.
- Northbound Red Line passengers will follow a regular Saturday schedule.
- Southbound Blue Line trains to Pearl/Arts District Station will leave every 15 minutes from Downtown Rowlett Station starting four hours before kickoff.
- Northbound Blue Line passengers will follow a regular Saturday schedule.
- Eastbound Orange Line passengers from DFW Airport and Irving's five stations will transfer to the Green Line at Bachman Station.
- TRE passengers will transfer at Victory Station to shuttle buses to complete their trip to the fairgrounds.
To help customers avoid rail crowding DART is offering direct bus service to Fair Park from these rail stations: Victory, Bachman (Green, Orange Line), Bush Turnpike, Mockingbird (Red, Blue Line), Pearl/Arts District (Blue, Green Line) and Trinity Mills (Green Line). Buses will depart these stations when full or at least every 10 minutes.
Buy passes early with your smartphone
The GoPass℠ mobile ticketing application makes it easy to buy tickets before game day. The app is available for both Apple and Android. Local Day passes for DART Rail, local bus and passengers riding the TRE from CentrePort or Dallas County stations are $5. Customers coming from Tarrant County or Denton County must purchase a Regional Day Pass for $10. The fares are good for trains, buses or both. Passes are also available at ticket vending machines located at all DART and TRE stations.
Besides trip planning features to help make travel on DART, The T, DCTA or TRE easier, this year you can easily buy your State Fair of Texas general admission tickets using the GoPass app.
Just show your purchased fair ticket on GoPass at the gates to get in. To make the deal even sweeter, you will save $2 on every ticket by using GoPass. You do not have to buy a DART transit ticket in order to take advantage of the State Fair discount tickets. Details are available at www.DART.org/RedRiverShowdown or DART Customer Information at 214-979-1111.
On game day, customers arriving at DFW Airport will board the Orange Line at DART's newest station at Terminal A to Bachman Station then transfer to a southbound Green Line (Buckner) train. If not going to the game transfer again at Union Station to Red (Parker Road or Westmoreland) or Blue Line (Rowlett or Ledbetter) service to reach Plano, Richardson, Rowlett, Garland and south Dallas.
If heading to the airport on game day and traveling southbound on Red and Blue Lines, transfer to the Green Line (N. Carrollton/Frankford) at St. Paul, Akard or West End Stations. Switch again to the Orange Line at Bachman Station to reach DFW Airport Station. Those using the Green Line north or southbound should transfer to the Orange Line at Bachman Station (DFW). From northbound Red and Blue Lines transfer to a Green Line (N. Carrollton/Frankford) in downtown Dallas at West End, Akard or St. Paul Stations then to the Orange Line at Bachman Station (DFW).
Plan and track your travel online
Online tools help customers locate the nearest DART or TRE station or stop. They are available at DART.org/TravelTools. Game day updates are available throughout the day via Twitter (@dartalerts), email or a special subscription text service. Sign up by texting DARTTXOU to 41411. The services are offered free by DART, but users may incur charges from their wireless provider.
-- 30 --